Are you thinking about investing in a remote control light switch? It can be hard to find the right one for you. Some only work with certain systems and others are too expensive.
But, if you find the right one, it will make your life so much easier. We’ve scoured the internet to find some of the best remote control light switches out there.
How Do Remote Control Light Switches Work?
Before you make your decision on a remote control light switch, you should know how they work. It would be bad if you buy one and don’t know how to work it.
They can also be known as Smart Light Switches. Basically they are like any other smart device. They tap into your home’s WiFi so that you can control your lights from your phone, tablet, or laptop. This way you don’t have to get up to do it.
You can even change the lights from miles away.
The main reason people want remote control light switches is because it can act as a control center for the entire room or your house’s lighting system.
They can also be cost effective. A switch can cost as much as a smart bulb, but doesn’t need smart bulbs to offer network connectivity to the lighting system. One light switch can turn conventional bulbs into smart bulbs by just being able to connect and control a remote control switch.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We use a 2-part system with how we chose our ratings. We look at what insiders think to get a list together. They test them out and know some of the best brands. The only downside is that they may have unknown biases. They could be connected to the company in some way.
We then looked up each switch from our list on Amazon to see what average customers like you thought of the product. Customer reviews are great because they have no biases. Customers will not hold back from telling people why or why not they like a product. They also can explain it in a way that anyone can understand.
Top 10 Best Remote Control Light Switch
Here is our list of the best remote control light switch.
We tried to find ones from different brands and price ranges. We did this in the hope that everyone will find something they like.
This system works with Alexa, Microsoft Cortana supported devices, and Google Assistant. You can turn electronics on or off from anywhere with your smartphone using the Kasa app. You can even schedule to set your Smart Switch to automatically turn on and off while you are home or away.
It has a maximum load is 15A, 600W incandescent. There isn’t any need to understand complex switch wiring or master auxiliary switch configurations. The Kasa app will walk you through the installation.
It does need a neutral wire and works in a single pole setup only. It also needs a secured 2.4 GHz WiFi network connection.
- Easy guided install: Neutral wire is required, standard wall plate size. No need to understand complex switch wiring or...
- Control from anywhere: Monitor your light status. Turn electronics on and off from anywhere with your smartphone using...
- Voice control: Enjoy the hands-free convenience of controlling the lights in your home with your voice via Amazon Alexa...
This light switch works with Alexa and Google Assistant. It seamlessly replaces your old wall light switch. You can control your lights with the Wemo app. You set schedules and timers. You can set your porch light to turn on at sunset or schedule your ceiling fans to turn on before you get home.
It has an electrical ration of 120V/15A/60 HZ/ 18000W. It only works with any one-way connection light switch. It’s not compatible with 3 way switches. It also requires a neutral wire.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- WeMo light switch seamlessly replaces your old wall light switch. Control you lights from WeMo light switch on the wall,...
- Set SCHEDULES and timers. Set porch light to turn on at sunset. Schedule ceiling fans to turn before you arrive home....
This switch works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Nest, Serena Shades, and Sonos. It’s easy to use and to set up. You can follow the instructions that are in the app.
You can manage lights, voice assistants, cameras, temperature, shades, and music. The switch’s clear connect technology doesn’t interfere or compete with WiFi connected devices.
- Works with Alexa to support dimming or switching the lights on/off through voice control (Alexa device and Caseta...
- Easy to use and simple to set up; just connect to your router and follow app instructions
- Connects with more leading smart home brands (including Alexa, Apple Home Kit, the Google Assistant, Serena shades and...
It works with Alexa and iOS Home. You can install this switch in 3 steps in as little as 15 minutes. It doesn’t require a neutral wire. It can control up to 17 bulbs per circuit. It can work with up to 150W dimmable LED/CFL or 600W incandescent/ halogen bulbs.
- PEACE OF MIND: Set lights to automatically adjust with changing seasons so your family always comes back to a welllit...
- MOST CONNECTED: Caseta connects with more leading smart home devices – including Alexa, Apple Home Kit, the Google...
- CONTROL YOUR WAY: Caseta puts the smarts in the switch so you can control your lights a variety of ways – via the free...
This switch works with Alexa and Google Assistant. You use the free My Leviton app to control it.
It works with Nest as well. It can use 3 way switching so that it can control more lights. You can set it up to automatically turn on and off at certain times. It can also turn on and off with the sunrise and sunset.
It does need a neutral wire. It can handle up 600W for LED and CFL and incandescent bulbs up to 1800W.
- NO HUB: Control your home from anywhere via My Leviton app - simply replace your existing light switch (neutral...
- CAPABILITIES: Schedule lights to adjust when you want including sunrise/sunset, easily create lighting scenes, utilize...
- VOICE CONTROL: Works with Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants (sold separately). “Alexa, Turn Outside Light...
This switch can control small appliances or lighting from your mobile devices or computer. It’s easy to find because it has a blue LED indicator.
It can work with incandescent, florescent, compact florescent, xenon, halogen, and LED lights up to 960W.
The white lighting control matches most wall plates. Screw terminal installation provides improved space efficiency when replacing existing switches compared to flying leads.
- VOICE CONTROL – ALEXA & GOOGLE ASSISTANT COMPATIBLE (requires a Z-Wave certified hub). Works with the following Z-Wave...
- VERSATILE DIMMING OPTIONS – Easily replace any standard in-wall switch equipped with a neutral wire to remotely turn...
- 3-WAY READY – The smart device operates perfectly on its own or seamlessly integrates into multi-switch setups with...
This switch works with both Alexa and Siri. You can control, monitor, and schedule your lighting throughout your home. You can control and monitor your lights with your phone through its app.
It can be used as a single pole or 3 or 4 way. You can also pair the 2 wall switches via Bluetooth for a virtual, seamless connection.
- VOICE CONTROL: Responds to Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant voice commands (voice assistant sold separately)
- ACCESS ANYWHERE: Control your home's lighting and switched accessories from anywhere using any iOS/Android device and...
- SEAMLESS CONTROL: Wall Switch works in single pole, 3- and 4-way setups. In 3- and 4-way setups, all secondary switches...
This switch works with Alexa for voice control. You can use the Insteon Mini remote, Insteon motor sensor, or Insteon keypads for controlling your lights.
It’s compatible with any type of lightbulbs like incandescent, fluorescent, and LED lights. It’s easy to install and can take only 10 minutes. A neutral wire is needed.
- Remotely control any load type, such as fluorescent lights, fans, and motors
- Powerful 1800 Watt capacity - Perfect for commercial and residential applications (100-277VAC)
- 2477S requires neutral wire - see model 2474DWH for no neutral wire required & model 2477D for dimmer switch
This switch works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant. You can add up to 50 Philips Hue lights with this ZigBee controlled hub. You use the Philips Hue app to control the lights, even when you are away from your house.
You can set timers, alarms, and even dim lights. There are even accessories that you can buy so that you can expand your lighting system.
- Voice activated: With the Philips Hue Smart Hub, add up to 50 Philips Hue smart lights of your choice with this...
- Control your smart lights from anywhere: The heart of your Philips Hue system, this hue hub also enables you to control...
- Fully automate your smart home: Enhance your Philips Hue system by setting timers and alarms, connecting to a variety of...
This remote can control hard to reach appliances and devices without on/off switches at the push of a button. It lets you activate multiple devices with one button or control one device with multiple remotes.
- REMOTELY CONTROL hard-to-reach appliances and festival lights without ON/OFF switches at the push of a button, an ideal...
- 100 FT. OPERATING RANGE: The remote outlet's strong RF signal works through doors and walls without interfering with...
- EASY TO USE: Just take the remote control outlet kits out of box, insert the battery in remote and plug the outlet in...
Buyer’s Guide to Picking the Right Remote Control Light Switch
To find the right remote control light switch, you need to know what kind of wiring you have. If you don’t have a neutral wire, then that can eliminate many switches. You also need to be somewhat familiar with wiring and how they work.
There are some that don’t need wiring, but you need to make sure you read everything properly.
Then make sure you have the right interface that will work with it. A lot of them work with Alexa but there are others that work with a variety of other interfaces.
Finally, make sure you read the reviews. Some of them sound good on paper but then they don’t work so well in real life. Many of the reviewers struggled with installing these switches and were frustrated.
Another constant comment was that the switches tended to loose connection. People have to constantly have restart it to find it again.
Do Your Research
As always with technology, you need to do your research. These switches can get pricey fast and you don’t want to buy a bunch of these switches and then have them not work.
Research is key. Check out your wiring to make sure you know if you have a neutral wire or not. Because if you don’t have one and don’t buy the right switch then it won’t work.
As mentioned before, products can sound good at first and then not be able to execute their promises. People are great at detailing why they like products or not. They go step by step in how it was to install and get it to work.
Once you know what you want, it will be easy to find the right remote control light switch for you.